For the Soutwest Iowa Mediation Center, the “Mediation Orientation Class” and the “Parenting Class” are combined into one session.
- Mediation Orientation
This is a 45 minute class and is held at the same time as the Parenting: Children in the Middle Class.
- Parenting: Children in the Middle Class
If you have one or more minor children (children who are under 18 years old), you are required to attend a parenting class. Please read more about this class below.
Mediation Orientation and Parenting: Children in the Middle
Who is required to attend: You are required to attend this class if you have one or more minor children (under 18) involved in your legal case. You can attend the class separately.
- What: This class will inform you about a) the needs of children of separated parents at different ages; b) parenting skills for divorced or separated parents; c) the financial responsibilities of parents following divorce; and d) will help you prepare for mediation.
- Time: This is a 3 1/2 hour class.
- When: You are required to attend this class within 45 days of the date the petition was filed. This class is held various times including Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
- Where: Various locations. You only attend ONE class. See the Class Locations and Schedule below. The Mediation Orientation and Parenting: Children in the Middle classes are held in one session, for your convenience.
- Cost: $50 per person, payment is due before the class starts. One fee covers both classes. You can register and pay online. You can also bring payment with you to the class. With this option, payment is only accepted in the form of a cashier’s check, attorney’s trust fund check, or money order. If you have questions, contact the Mediation Center at 712-310-2843 or by email.
- How to Register: You can register online (see below) or call the Mediation Center at 712-310-2843. Look at the schedule and decide which time and location works best for you.
The class has two purposes.
- The class tells you about children and divorce and about children’s needs at different ages, to help you make decisions in your children’s best interest.
- The class explains mediation.